|CLARKE COUNTY and nature are synonymous with the productivity and recreation of this beautiful area in the heartland of the plains of East Central Mississippi. Centered in the once great Choctaw Indian nation, this area was ceded to the United States in 1820 by the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek
Clarke County was named in honor of the first chancellor of the State of Mississippi, Joshua G. Clarke. Since its official beginning, December 23, 1833, Clarke county has been prominent in agriculture and natural resources.
The county is rich in history, having survived the ravages of Sherman and his troops during the latter stages of the Civil War. The construction of railroads had an impact on the county by providing rail transportation from Mobile, Alabama in the south to the Ohio River in the north.
QUITMAN, located between Archusa Creek on the east and the Chickasawhay River on the west, was officially recognized by the Mississippi Legislature on February 13, 1839. The town was named after the second Chancellor of the State, General John A. Quitman. Today, Quitman serves Clarke County as the seat of local government. Quitman’s evolution from an Indian settlement to the seat of county government occurred over a period of more than 150 years.
ENTERPRISE, located 13 miles northwest of Quitman and situated at the juncture of the Chunky and Chickasawhay Rivers, had its early beginnings as a Choctaw Indian settlement. The town was founded in strategic proximity to major waterways and railroad service brought it the distinction of serving as the state capitol of Mississippi for a few days during the mid 1800’s. Natural scenic beauty and beautiful antebellum homes bring many to this area of Clarke County. Sixteen of these homes are still standing, many of them in excellent condition, and are listed on the National Register of Historic Homes.
SHUBUTA , located 12 miles south of Quitman, has an interesting past dating back to early Indian settlements. Shubuta, a Choctaw Indian word (SHOBOTI) meaning smoky, was given by the Indians to a nearby creek which is an arm of the Chickasawhay River and still has smoky waters. Until the late 1800’s, Shubuta was commonly known as the largest town between Meridian, Mississippi and Mobile, Alabama. Shubuta claims two churches and three homes on the National Register of Historic Places.
PACHUTA, located 13 miles west of Quitman at the intersection of US Highway 11 Mississippi Highway 18, was founded in 1882. The was so named when the New Orleans and northeastern Railroad ( now Norfolk Southern) was built through the area. Prior to the coming of the railroad, the area was inhabited partly by tribes of Choctaw Indians from whom Pachuta obtained its name as well as its land.
STONEWALL had its original founding during the mid 1800s as a company-owned community. The town is located in northwest Clarke county on the banks of the Chickasawhay River, eight miles northwest of Quitman. Individuals held mill ownership in Stonewall through the turn of the century after which the mill was known as Crown Overall Company (1921-1948), Erwin Mills (1948-1961) and as Burlington Industries until mid 2002. The weave plant has recently been purchased by WarmKraft, Inc. and will be utilized in mid 2004.”